My 2008 Cadillac STS-V came with a Dealer emblem on the trunk lid. Today’s project was to get that off and enjoy the clean rear that Cadillac intended.
I want to keep the V logo, and the STS.
Our targets are the “TAYLOR” and subtext “Houston” emblems.
Tools / Materials:
- Dental floss
- adhesive removal chemicals or (alternate) car shampoo solution
- More dental floss
How to remove dealer emblems
- Take photos for Before
- Wrap a long strand of dental floss around your fingers, as if you planned to floss. Perhaps more than you normally would use.
- Slide the middle of the floss under one edge of the lettering or emblem to be removed.
- Saw with the floss in a back and forth motion, applying slight pressure downward on the floss. We are trying to saw through the rubber-like adhesive holding the lettering or emblem to the car.
- Use a new strand of floss once the floss breaks. Floss is pretty cheap, so use a new piece whenever needed.
- Once you have the lettering/emblems off, there is probably going to be some adhesive still left on the car where the lettering or emblems were.
- Using the car wash solution and water on a microfiber towel, wash and scrub the adhesive until it washes off the car. 3M actually makes an adhesive removal product that probably makes this easier. I found that using my DIY Spray Detailer (car wash and water) the adhesive scrubbed off with some effort.
- Clean up
- Take photos for After
Bruce: How do you know the DIY Remove Dealer Emblems Works?
You can see in the pictures this is the process I used to remove the emblems. Your paint, car, emblems may present some issues I didn’t have. But if I were doing this project again I would follow the same process.
Problems you might run in to:
When I asked the Cadillac Dealer to handle this for me, the Service Writer suggested that sometimes the paint underneath the emblem/logo has aged differently than the surrounding paint, which effects the appearance. I don’t see that issue on my STS-V.
Have you successfully removed emblems other ways, or had an emblem removal not go well? Speak up and share in the comments below!