Cadillac’s January 2012 sales numbers are challenged. Down 29% from last year, but let’s examine why.
- CTS sales — down from 4K to 3K. Why? There is a new CTS commercial, but certainly doesn’t appear to be helping sell cars.
- DTS Sales disappeared due to model retirement
- Escalade sales down overall. Why?
- SRX sales flat year over year
- STS sales disappeared due to model retirement
So the continued SRX sales are a relief from the otherwise poor news.
In late spring, Cadillac will launch its new XTS large sedan and in late summer, its new ATS luxury sports sedan.
Is the XTS on the way this summer? Yes. Will it drive sales? Maybe 2K/month if successful.
Is the ATS on the way in the autumn? Yes. Will it drive sales? Probably — Cadillac needs to move 7k/month to get to 3-Series numbers, and the standard ATS should be a price leader for Cadillac.
|January – January|
|2012||2011||%Change Volume||2012||2011||%Change Volume|
So what does the bad news mean? No mention of fleet sales in 2010 vs 2011 in the release.
The big question is, how can Cadillac sell 4K/month of the current CTS until the redesign next year?