Brooks Bierly at Autoweek has a nice perspective piece on the 1954 Cadillac Eldorado. The Eldorado was introduced in 1953 as a premium, top-of-the-line convertible coupe, similar to the Cadillac XLR-V today. In 1954 it had a new longer wheel-base, wrap-around windshield and custom wire wheels.
The Standard Catalog of Cadillac notes that the Eldorado featured golden identifying crests centered directly behind the air-slot fenderbreaks, and wide fluted beauty panels to decorate the lower rear body sides. These panels were made of extruded aluminum. There were monogram plates on the doors, and custom interior trimmings with the Cadillac crest embossed on the seat bolsters, similar to the touches added to the redesigned Cadillac CTS in 2008.
Automatic windshield washers, power steering, a 12-volt electrical system, and aluminum alloy pistons made the long standard equipment list in 1954.
Another one-off creation also appeared in 1954 — an exclusive, one-off Sedan DeVille!
Thanks to Autoweek and owner Bill Parfet for this beautiful living history!