This morning I ran some cold comparison tests for the K&N Filter in the Spectre CAI.
I changed my test method for these runs — same test route, but instead of starting from a stop, I started from a roll with the transmission manually selected to 2nd gear. My thinking was that this would be less stress on the tires/drivetrain, and give better low rpm torque readings.
The results are not what I expected. We were looking for 376-380 whp so that part seems in range, with one runs at 384-388 whp. The one run at 350 whp is odd. The torque readings in general don’t seem to take the form one would expect.
On the ‘green’ run in Virtual Dyno, I didn’t flip the transmission to auto-shift, so it redlined in 2nd gear getting to 6700+ rpm where the fuel cutoff is set.
Here is a similar graph with a previous 2nd gear sliced out of a 0-60 run compared with one of the runs from today:
Red is today’s test; blue is a recent test in cool air with the Spectre filter in. Today’s run appears to show much higher low end torque, and lower high end HP peak.
Next I will take the K&N filter off, check the installation, and re-install to see if there is something physical I am missing here. Then I will re-oil the now cleaned Spectre and re-install it for testing.